Thursday, July 24, 2008

In Memory of Andrew Widman - A true Servant Heart

I have some dear friends in Ft. Myers, Florida. Their names are Bonnie and Tommy Rickards. We met when I was in high school. Tommy became our Youth for Christ/Campus Life director, and I became the babysitter for their two small boys, David and Mark. These were some precious times for me. These 4 people became family to me, giving me all the love that I wasn't getting from home. (Hey -now that I know what it's like, I can understand what my mom and dad were going through with 4 teenagers!) I learned so much from this couple, about love, friendship, committment to Jesus.

As time went on, another little boy, Joshua came along. Then finally a girl - Susanna Ruth! By this time I had graduated from high school, and soon after Tommy and Bonnie and the kids headed for Texas so that Tommy could go to seminary. I remember visiting them when Susanna was about 3 or 4, so sweet...walking around always on her tippy toes...a tiny little fairy girl.

Fast forward many years. The little fairy girl was now a tiny, beautiful princess in her wedding gown, marrying a handsome prince named Andrew Widman. By this time I was married and had 2 kids, and it seemed amazing that this little one that I held as a baby was now a radiant bride. I was so happy for her, that she had fallen in love with a man who was good, and loved Jesus and her so much.

Although I haven't had personal contact with Susanna and Andrew, Bonnie and Tommy have been good to keep me up to date as their lives progressed. First a son, Samuel. We prayed as they sought to be missionaries in Thailand. Then little Sasha was born, and we prayed as she went through some health issues. And most recently they brought baby Sylvia into the world, and Bonnie and Tommy shared with us that Andrew had become a policeman with the Ft. Myers PD. It looked like everything was going well. Everyone healthy and happy.

Until 2am July 18, 2008. 30 year old, just a year on the force Andy responded to a domestic disturbance in downtown Ft. Myers, and was shot point blank and killed instantly. His fellow officers took down the suspect out. But that doesn't bring Andy back.

From what I know of Andy, he was a true servant. He loved the Lord and loved his family. He loved being a police officer. This was his mission field. He swore to serve and protect. He prayed with victims of violent crimes, and probably even for those he arrested. He was a unique and special man in all his ways.

My husband and I have kept up with the news, watched the funeral on the internet. How proud I am of Susanna - her grace and strength in such a crushing time, sharing a piece of her heart with us during the service and showing us just a little more about this Andy, this man we would have loved to have known better. We cried as we watched, wishing we could be there to do something - anything - to help ease the pain of our friends. There is only one pain reliever though, and his name is Jesus. Right now, I'm asking him again how this will bring him glory...why does a young, vibrant, good and loving father and husband have to die? We have another friend who lost her 37 year old husband 2 years ago, and delivered their son a week later. My heart breaks for these young women. Each of them had indeed found their soul mates in their wonderful husbands, and now they are gone. They will raise their children without these special men who were and would have been great fathers.

I love the Lord, I really do. I have no personal fear of death, I know that it is just step into eternal life. But man, I really don't understand why some things have to happen. And I do ask WHY? I think my God is big enough to handle my asking. I don't think he always answers, but I know he hears me, and all the others who ask why. And he holds us while we ask, and he sends a peace that passes all understanding.

I hope that if you've read this, you will pray for Susanna Widman, and for her children. Pray for peace, comfort and guidance. Pray that they will be able to mourn, and that they will be able to go on and to lead the lives that Andy would have wanted for them. I know Andy is just fine. He's home. The Lord says, "Precious in my eyes is the death of my servant." It's the ones who are left behind that need our prayers, our love and our support.

Hug your family. Each day is precious.

No comments: